   Re: [xml-dev] Are XML's Good Ideas hidden? (was Re: [xml-dev] Re:What ar

Mike Champion wrote:

> Is is all over now, or is there some way to get out the word that XML really
> *is* simple and useful without all the layers and layers of hype, complexity,
> and drag-n-drop tools that exploit the power of XML for the benefit of
> vendors while denying its benefits to users?

It isn't all over for XML, for the same reason it isn't all over for
Unicode (which also has a reputation for being complex). XML makes
hierarchical, recursive data serialization and deserialization easier
than the popular techniques that preceded it (basically YACC).

Nobody sane wants to go back to that world. Some people are proceeding
in other directions like YAML and LMNL etc. As long as the approaches
preserve the essential features of XML (standardized syntax, schemas,
etc.), we'll have made progress in the last ten years.

  Paul Prescod