   RE: [xml-dev] Advanced text searching vs XML??? (was Re: [xml-dev] Note

Title: Message
I hope your employer is encouraging the XQuery WG to get better regular expression support into XQuery 1.0. The WG seem to be rowing back a bit from the Use Case that still (for the moment) says "Full-text Search". I am concerned that the reg exp support may, in the end, be fairly feeble. I hope I am wrong.

XSLT 2.0 is better off since it is expected to have the xsl:analyze-string element to do a reasonable amount of reg exp stuff.

Andrew Watt

I think the main difference between the XSLT 2.0 capability for regular expressions and the XQuery 1.0 capability (matches(), replace(), and tokenize()) is that the xsl:analyze-string construct gives the ability to find non-XML structure in the text and turn it into markup. I think this is definitely a transformation task rather than a query task. For query, people will normally create as much marked-up structure as they can before loading documents into a database.

Certainly, the three functions above met all the XQuery use cases that we identified.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com