   Re: [xml-dev] Note from the Troll

On Monday 28 October 2002 7:38 pm, tblanchard@mac.com wrote:

> LDAP (Lightweight Directory ACCESS PROTOCOL) somewhere went from
> unified view and api on existing datastores to being its own datastore.
>   That was a mistake.  I really expected to see some techniques for
> writing adaptors that sat atop views in oracle.

Oooh, feel my pain! We (at work) looked at some LDAP server once that sat on
top of Oracle. We had expected to be able to set up arbitrary mappings from
tables to LDAP schemas, but it was lamer than that - it wanted to use its own
SQL schema which wasn't done in a way that would make setting up a view to
emulate it on top of the real data very doable... we wanted to expose an
existing database over LDAP. Bah humbug!

[hypesters]
> 5) JHeads. (Java programmers that know little else).

Really? I've not seen hype from that quarter myself... I'd have thought the
Java programmers that know little else would be preferring RMI / JMS anyway.

> >  Massive confusion is created over whether the use of
> > URIs, in a particular context, is for identification, for comparison,
> > for location, or for decoupling.
>
> Thats part of it.  Lets put it another way though - there are too many
> little mechanisms overall.  Writing an XML parser is a daunting task -
> which seems astonishing to me considering its just meant to be
> structured data.

Especially if you want to handle default values. If your vocabulary defines
common defaults for certain attributes that can be explicitly overriden, then
you either need to use a non-validating parser and handle the defaults
explicitly in your code - or use a complex validating parser that looks at a
DTD or schema to put them in for you.

> Yeah but this is a hardware media problem more than a software problem
> I'll wager.
> I have a bunch of stuff on Syquest drives too - wonder how I'll get
> that transferred.

It's Travan tapes for me :-)

My solution has been to keep everything on a live filesystem, mingling
archives with current stuff - that way when I move to new technology I can't
be lazy; I have to transfer it all!

> The current solution is to use a free form text indexer like verity,
> autonomy, or the google appliance to handle resumes and other
> documents, and relational db for structured info.  Text indexers based
> on interesting fuzzy match and bayesian techniques are rapidly reducing
> the requirement for markup in document management I think.  Google is
> an excellent example (and now you can get it in a box).

Mmmm, Google...

ABS

--
Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, Yellow desert screen