   Re: [xml-dev] Need Help: Creating XML Tag with ":"

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 02:36:05AM -0500, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:
> mgushee@havenrock.com writes:
>

> >   1) Go ahead and use your markup with colons, but don't call it XML,
>
> Matt,
>
> Um, why not call it XML?

Okay, maybe that was a little too strong. I should probably just get off
this list, since I have far too little time to make sure I'm saying the
right thing. But anyway ...

> Have you read Chapter 2.3 of the XML 1.0 Rec lately?

But of course (since you reminded me)! It says:

  ... authors should not use the colon in XML names except for namespace
  purposes ...

--which is pretty much what I remembered, though I wasn't sure whether
it was a 'must not' or a 'should not'. And since the original poster
wanted to do exactly what that section says he shouldn't ... well,
strictly speaking, it's legal. But probably not a good idea, wouldn't
you say?

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.