   RE: [xml-dev] Not quite an I-D announcement

keith@woc.org (Keith W. Boone) writes:
>pragma() Scheme Syntax:
>  ptrpart  ::=    pragma( feature, value [, required] )
>  feature  ::=    scheme-ns-uri / feature-name
>
>where "scheme-ns-uri" is the URI used to identify the scheme that the
>pragma

Sorry for the complete rejection, but I'm flat out unwilling to continue
the URI-poisoning that's afflicted XML since namespaces came along, and
I don't find that infinitely-extensible pattern a particularly useful
one.

URIs are not an acceptable replacement for human-readable identifiers,
and contribute mightily to the smog of arguments about complexity that
surrounds XML.

Even apart from URI poisoning, I would much rather have three different
schemes whose names are meaningful rather than one scheme whose names
are extensible but whose usage is unclear.  In general, I much prefer
the pattern:

<givenName>Simon</givenName>

to:

<element name="givenName">Simon</element>

>From my perspective, the latter is preferable, with or without URIs.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether