   Re: [xml-dev] Documenting XSLT (Was: Note from the Troll)

Jeni Tennison wrote:

> We've discussed documentation work-arounds in XSLT 1.0 on and off for
> years -- make the documentation elements extension elements and
> include an empty xsl:fallback; run the stylesheet through a
> de-documentation-izer before using it; use XML comments with XML
> inside that you get out via disable-output-escaping.
>
> None of these is exactly ideal.

As part of that discussion, one suggestion I made (which
seemed to get lost in the noise...) was to extend the
whitespace stripping mechanism instead of introducing
a specific documentation element.  That is, as well as
stripping whitespace from a stylesheet the processor
could be told to also strip elements in certain
namespaces as well.  That way, documentation could be
made to disappear from the stylesheet before execution
begins.  Since this is a general mechanism, stylesheet
designers made find it useful for other purposes too.

Perhaps this could be considered for XSLT 2.0?

Cheers,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   XSLT Standard Library   | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |     Web Tcl Complete      |   XML XSL Schemas