   RE: [xml-dev] What is "semantic markup"?

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What is "semantic markup"?
  • From: "Mark Seaborne" <MSeaborne@origoservices.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:33:23 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: AndrewWatt2000@aol.com [mailto:AndrewWatt2000@aol.com]
Sent: 30 October 2002 11:13
To: vdv@dyomedea.com; xml-dev@lists.xml.org

In a message dated 30/10/2002 11:00:07 GMT Standard Time, vdv@dyomedea.com writes:

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 11:56, Daniel Dui wrote:

>>> So different consumers of a document can associate it with different
>>> semantics. This is sometime OK, but often not desirable and nothing can
>>> be done to ensure that they don't. Or can it?

>>I would even say that this is one of the main strengths of XML,
>>sometimes called "loose coupling" or "late binding" :) ...

>>Eric,

>Viewed from another perspective it can be seen as one of XML's great weaknesses.

>What I sometimes, irreverently, term Humpty Dumpty semantics! - "The semantics are what I say they are. No more and >no less.".

>Andrew Watt

That is the whole point, viewing things from other perspectives. And it happens everywhere, xml or no xml, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. You just have to do your best to ensure you are putting across your own point of view strongly enough that others can appreciate it, and take it into account when they view whatever it is from their own view point.

Whether or not XML allows you to achieve that in all the circumstances where it is used is another matter.

Mark Seaborne