   Re: [xml-dev] Article: "The horror of XML"

10/30/2002 11:59:28 AM, Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> Just because the spec says a SOAP request can't contain a
>processing instruction or a document type declaration doesn't mean
>one won't.

The resolution in SOAP 1.2 on this issue
is a bit stronger than that:

"A SOAP message MUST NOT contain a Document Type Declaration.
On receipt of a SOAP message containing a Document Type Declaration,
a SOAP receiver MUST generate a fault (see 4.4 SOAP Fault) with
faultcode of "Client.DTD". A SOAP message SHOULD NOT contain
processing instruction information items. A SOAP receiver MUST
ignore processing instruction information items in SOAP messages it receives."

Since SOAP 1.2 is defined on the infoset, it presupposes that a parser
has done its work ... AFAIK, that doesn't imply an XML syntax
parser, just one that produces XML Infosets.

Of course, the "Horror of XML" makes facile and possibly unwarranted
assumptions that the XML syntax is an bottleneck in web applications and
web services.  I'd recommend Sean McGrath's article at
http://www.propylon.com/html/knowledge/XML_is_Too_Slow_20011110.html
to anyone even THINKING about assuming this before profiling their code.