   Re: [xml-dev] Article: "The horror of XML"

Mike Champion wrote:
> Since SOAP 1.2 is defined on the infoset, it presupposes that a parser
> has done its work ... AFAIK, that doesn't imply an XML syntax
> parser, just one that produces XML Infosets.

The language in the spec is indeed quite clear on that point in section 4.2:

[[
The binding framework does NOT require that every binding use the XML
1.0 [8]  serialization as the "on the wire" representation of the
Infoset; compressed, encrypted, fragmented representations and so on can
be used if appropriate.
]]

I'm having trouble finding a SOAP toolkit that seems to be aware of this
paragraph however, which is a pity as experiments on SOAP performance
(which I am currently conducting) require that kind of low-level access
to the "on the wire" format.

> Of course, the "Horror of XML" makes facile and possibly unwarranted
> assumptions that the XML syntax is an bottleneck in web applications and
> web services.  I'd recommend Sean McGrath's article at
> http://www.propylon.com/html/knowledge/XML_is_Too_Slow_20011110.html
> to anyone even THINKING about assuming this before profiling their code.

In some cases it does turn out to be the bottleneck, but it's true that
jumping to conclusions there is a bad idea.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway