   Re: [xml-dev] Article: "The horror of XML"

10/30/2002 12:44:27 PM, Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr> wrote:

>I'm having trouble finding a SOAP toolkit that seems to be aware of this
>paragraph however,

Which is why I used the AFAIK qualifier!

>In some cases it does turn out to be the bottleneck, but it's true that
>jumping to conclusions there is a bad idea.

Does anyone want to elaborate on cases when XML parsing does turn out
to be the bottleneck?  The only ones I'm aware are in pure middleware
scenarios -- XML serialized out of one internal representation only
to be reparsed into another internal representation almost immediately.
Profiling/tweaking does indicate that more efficient exchange formats
than XML (eg a sort of serialized SAX events) can significantly
speed things up.  Of course, once one gets out into the open the lack
of standardized alternatives to XML syntax for serializing the Infoset
does tend to outweigh the performance advantages.