   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

David Carlisle scripsit:

> Such a scheme could be made to work, yes, although I might take issue
> with "Unicode gives English names to all characters" what name does
> Unicode give to the character which has the ISOAMSO name jnodot for
> example?

The UTC's position on jnodot is that there's no evidence that it's actually
used as a *character* anywhere, as opposed to a glyph fragment used to
construct various kinds of accented j's.  Unicode prescribes that i and j
lose their dot if another accent is placed on them (if you need the dot
as well, as in Lithuanian, you use an explicit dot accent).

When the Finno-Ugric Phonetic Alphabet is encoded, this position may be
reconsidered.

(not speaking officially, of course)

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side