   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

Greetings,

On Friday, November 1, 2002, at 02:38  AM, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> Very few fonts have all the characters of Unicode.  Probably no font
> has all the characters of Unicode 3.2!

The goal of the STIX fonts project (6 STM publishers are doing this)
is to provide a set of high quality, Times compatible fonts for science
and math scholarly journals. The intent is to make the fonts freely
available but not in the public domain (similar to how Knuth's Computer
Modern fonts are available). Without these fonts, it is hard for us to
get away from character entities. Perhaps with the fonts, it will be
easier
to actually edit and work with the XML files we produce because the
glyphs can actually be displayed.

For more info, see http://www.stixfonts.org/

Of course, this project doesn't address the problem of the rest of
Unicode.

Another looming problem is that support for plane 1 glyphs and large
fonts in general in fonts packaging, operating systems, and end user
applications is quite spotty. So it isn't even clear what the optimal
packaging of the fonts is - it will most certainly require several
different packagings.

Cheers,
Mark