   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

/ David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> was heard to say:
| something else). It is another to do as XML Core WG is apparently trying
| to do which is just dismiss the issue as lack of user understanding.

Sigh. (This subject causes endless sighs, it seems.)

I wouldn't characterize the Core WG's action as an attempt to dismiss
the issue as lack of user understanding, but I can understand why
others might.

AFAICT, there's no good solution to this problem. I've got a bunch of
Xerces XNI filters in my toolkit now and one of them does something
like what Simon's Ents does. So it can be solved "out of band" but
that's hardly a solution at the specification level. At the
specification level, short of adding a new meta-character (or perhaps
some other backwards-incompatible change to XML 1.x), I don't see any
viable solutions.

So I'd characterize the Core WG's action as an attempt to make the
issues more easily understood and provide some alternatives for users
who find themselves constrained by the entity issue.

                                        Be seeing you,

Full disclosure, I'm on the Core WG.

- --
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM    | Never contend with a man who has nothing to
XML Standards Architect | lose.--Gracián
Web Tech. and Standards |
Sun Microsystems, Inc.  |
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)