   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

  Going out on limb here, but I don't believe XML needs this
  feature.  People who are concerned about ease of authoring
  should be using SGML instead.

I don't think that that is going out on a limb, it may well be the
majority view. It's a view I hold myself on alternate days.

However it is one thing to acknowledge the problems and state that XML
does not address them and to say use SGML (or Simon's ent filter or
something else). It is another to do as XML Core WG is apparently trying
to do which is just dismiss the issue as lack of user understanding.

Problems with using character entities take up a large part of the
problems you see on MathML lists and also XSL list (which in the main is
use of XHTML entities) I think that the current Core WG document shows
a severe lack of appreciation of the problems end users are having with
the result of the current collection of W3C specs if they try to use
entities.

David