   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

I didn't say "support", I said "be used with":

>>misunderstandings, such as that entities can't be used with Schemas.

and that is factually incorrect.  People have said that they can't use
Schemas unless they support entities, but they're mistaken: they can
use Schemas and DTDs together, even if they find it distasteful.

>you must use at least an internal DTD subset to support them.

Yes.  You can use DTDs with XML Schemas.

>That's NOT schemas supporting entities, that's "we now have to use two
>technologies to get done what we used to with one, since we've been
>'encouraged' to use schemas in any new technologies developed."

I think it was right to separate entities - a lexical mechanism - from
schemas.  Character substitution should happen at a level below schemas,
and should be usable with any schema language (and without any).

-- Richard