   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

Ann Navarro wrote:

> >We have come out in *support* of uniform entity name/character mappings
> >across all standards.  We don't think that it's in our charter to do this
> >ourselves.
>
> That's not what I'm referring to. You may think uniform names are good, but
> I'm hearing/reading that you think it's perfectly acceptable to force
> average document authors to write internal DTD subsets to be able to write
> "Pepsi ™".

You could always use an external subset.

Of course there's probably some niggling technical issue
that would make that unworkable; the document would be
"invalid" unless the external subset also contained
a suitable collection of <!ELEMENT...> and <!ATTLIST...>
declarations, which will cause validating parsers to
reject it.  Non-validating parsers of course won't
read the external subset.

[ It's always bothered me that XML parsers are either
  "validating" or "non-validating".  This should really
  be "DTD-aware" (with validation as an extra optional
  feature) and "DTD-unaware".

  Maybe this can be changed in XML 1.1, not that I would
  hold my breath. ]

This trick *would* work in SGML though: with
IMPLYDEF  ELEMENT YES   ATTRIBUTE YES, the external
subset can consist solely of <!ENTITY ...> declarations.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com