   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

Joe English scripsit:

> Of course there's probably some niggling technical issue
> that would make that unworkable; the document would be
> "invalid" unless the external subset also contained
> a suitable collection of <!ELEMENT...> and <!ATTLIST...>
> declarations, which will cause validating parsers to
> reject it.

Validating parsers can usually be made to shut up about invalidity.

> Non-validating parsers of course won't
> read the external subset.

*Some* non-validating parsers.  There are plenty of NVPs that read
all external entities including the external subset.

> [ It's always bothered me that XML parsers are either
>   "validating" or "non-validating".  This should really
>   be "DTD-aware" (with validation as an extra optional
>   feature) and "DTD-unaware".

No conforming XML parser is completely DTD-unaware.

>   Maybe this can be changed in XML 1.1, not that I would
>   hold my breath. ]

No, indeed.

--
My corporate data's a mess!                     John Cowan
It's all semi-structured, no less.              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan