   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

jcowan@reutershealth.com (John Cowan) writes:
>Simon St.Laurent scripsit:
>
>> "mind-bogglingly annoying" seems like an adequate description of the
>> situation, even for those of us who aren't using XML Schema.  The
>> separation between structure and content description is critical, but
>> the "spare parts left over" approach seems like a bad idea generally.
>
>If we were defining a markup language de novo, like LMNL, that would
>be a reasonable answer.  We aren't.  There's a mechanism in place, no
>matter how much some people hate it, that *does the job*.  It may be
>awkward, annoying, or funny-looking.  That doesn't make the case for
>inventing a new mechanism, still less looking up like a bunch of sheep
>and expecting someone else to invent it -- and then grumbling about
>secret processes and dictatorial WGs.

As I said earlier, John, it's time to shut down the process.  That way
we can argue about what to do rather than the obvious inadequacies of
WGs, dictatorial, secret, or otherwise.

Makes for much more interesting conversation, with or without heat.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether