   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

John Cowan wrote:
> Joe English scripsit:
>
> > Of course there's probably some niggling technical issue
> > that would make that unworkable; the document would be
> > "invalid" [...] which will cause validating parsers to
> > reject it.
>
> Validating parsers can usually be made to shut up about invalidity.
*                        ^^^^^^^
> > Non-validating parsers of course won't read the external subset.
>
> *Some* non-validating parsers.  There are plenty of NVPs that read
*  ^^^^^
> all external entities including the external subset.

The key words here are "usually" and "some".

In my experience, _any_ time an XML document contains
a <!DOCTYPE ...> declaration (except for the minimal --
and useless -- <!DOCTYPE rootElement SYSTEM>) it causes some
sort of interoperability problem.  You can _usually_ configure
_some_ parsers to process docment type declarations in a consistent
way that's appropriate to the task at hand, but not always.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com