   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

>As long as schemas are restricted to structural constraints on
>post-parse information items rather than including constraints on
>allowed markup, they certainly cannot.

One of the reasons I've heard for wanting entities defined in XML
Schemas is that it's too inconvenient to have to specify two different
sources for entities and validity rules.  I think that what some
people want is to just specify just a namespace and have the entities
and schema be found from that.

Something like RDDL might provide a way to do that - a document at the
namespace URI could contain pointers to various kinds of schema and a
set of entity definitions (which could even be in good old DTD
format).  Just using RDDL won't work of course: parsers don't fetch
RDDL documents before parsing, which is essential for entities.

-- Richard