   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

From: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>

> Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>
> > Why should a user have to distinguish between "what elements can I use?"
> > and "what standard entities can I use?".
>
> Wrong question I think.  In XML you can use *all* the characters
> provided by Unicode; the issue here is how to give them mnemonics. -Tim

At least Tim is consistent: he doesn't have much truck with schemas, so his answer
to that first would likely be "any element in any namespace" and his answer to the
second is "any entity from Unicode" :-)

So that gives four positions:
 * dump entities
 * support the standard entities (with default or typical or standard or unified mappings)
 * give names to every Unicode character
 * provide a better declaration mechanism (that may support PUA characters too.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe