   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> >>Why should a user have to distinguish between "what elements can I use?"
> >>and "what standard entities can I use?".
> >
> >Wrong question I think.  In XML you can use *all* the characters
> >provided by Unicode; the issue here is how to give them mnemonics. -Tim
>
> At least Tim is consistent: he doesn't have much truck with schemas,
> so his answer
> to that first would likely be "any element in any namespace" and his
> answer to the
> second is "any entity from Unicode" :-)

No.  Obviously when you're editing XML you are usually highly
constrained in what elements you can use.  Typically, you are much less
constrained in characters you can use.  I am maintaining the position
that constraining syntax is pretty well orthogonal to naming characters
and it is only due to the accident of DTD history that we have this idea
that it's inevitable that "schemas" do both. -Tim