   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

davidc@nag.co.uk (David Carlisle) writes:
>If MathML and Docbook have different definitions it isn't at all clear
>what the user is supposed to do. Similarly MathML and XHTML. If you are
>given a combined XHTML +MathML DTD you have to look carefully at the
>order of combination to know what the end result is going to be.

Now that's an interesting problem, one that goes way beyond the nuisance
of DTD syntax leftovers in a schema-based world.

It seems that entity references may in fact be vocabulary-dependent, and
while DTDs were probably not wise to mix them so thoroughly with
structural declarations, there are good reasons for believing in such a
connection.

Maybe context-sensitive entity reference processing is going too far,
but it's not difficult to implement, especially as I'm already building
a preprocessor with parser logic built into it.  Adding context
information to Ents rules looks like it will be one of my early use
cases.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether