   RE: [xml-dev] XML/RDF

Articles like this go a long way towards convincing me that the RDF folks are very determined to prevent people from actually using their technology or the Semantic Web. ;)

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]
	Sent: Mon 11/4/2002 10:11 AM
	To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
	Subject: [xml-dev] XML/RDF

	If people thought that XLink was an intrusive technology, I'm not sure
	what they'll make of the RDF-friendly XML described at:

	http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/10/30/rdf-friendly.html

	Points 2, 3, 4, and 5 leave me utterly cold. I can't imagine telling XML
	vocabulary developers to do those things while keeping a straight face.
	Points 6 and 7, on container models and mixed content, seem to me to
	reinforce a set of processing biases that fit poorly with markup
	approaches in the first place.

	At some point it seems that it makes a lot more sense for ordinary
	mortals to work in XML and let geniuses write transformations if they
	want to reuse the information in RDF processing.  Creating markup in a
	straitjacket can be a lot of fun, but only if you're genuinely fond of
	the straitjacket.

	Fortunately, the W3C doesn't presently seem as excited about imposing
	this style on new vocabularies as it's been about XLink.