   Re: Fw: [xml-dev] is XML complete?

At 11:26 PM 11/6/2002 +0200, Gal Binyamini wrote:

>I'm wondering, are there any plans to standartize the XQuery/XSLT2.0 data
>model with platform specific APIs like was done with the DOM? For
>instance, will we have an org.w3c.datamodel Java package (or something
>similar)?
>It seems to me that right now the DOM/SAX-based standard for input to
>XSLT, XPath, etc. is causing a lot of overhead, because each engine is
>practicly forced to convert the input into a more suitable form (see
>Xalan's DTM for instance). Perhaps if there was a standartized way to pass
>a suitable data model to those processors we could avoid the overhead
>caused by the conversion.

I strongly agree that this would be useful.

The question, of course, is where this work should be done. The DOM doesn't
seem to be the right place to do it, and I don't know that the W3C would
want to do another set of platform specific APIs. It would be easy enough
to define a Java API that corresponds to the Data Model, eg via JCP, and I
would love to see that happen.

Or is there another place for this to happen? It's not going to happen
without leadership.

Jonathan