   Java API for Accessing XML Schema

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Java API for Accessing XML Schema
  • From: "Hayden Marchant" <hayden@unicorn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:51:28 +0200

I am looking for an API that will give me a complete view of the whole XMLSchema - attributeGroups, element groups, references to attribute groups, knowledge of the location of a definition of an object (i.e. tracking of imported/included constructs), documentation tags, etc... I need the sort of API that a typical XML Schema GUI Tool has internally.

There are plenty of implementations of XML Parsers (xerces, xml4j, orcle xdk, ....), XML Schema to Java binding APIs (JAXB implementations, sun, zeus,castor,...) that are internally parsing an XML Schema into a java object.

However, I have found that the XML Parsers generally do not keep all of the schema information - they only keep what is relevant for validation, like document tags, annotation, and attribute groups are resolved into a list of attributes. The same thing with the Java binding APIs - information only relevant to the binding process is preserved, and everything else is ignored.

Does anyone know of such an API out there that will be rich enough for my needs? If I don't get any responses, I will probably need to develop such an API myself. If I do this, I will seriously consider releasing it as OpenSource.

Hayden Marchant, Senior Java Developer,
Unicorn Solutions

International dial:U.S. toll free dial:
Tel: +972 2 649 11171 866 2 UNICOR(N) x117
Fax: +972 2 649 11121 866 FX UNICO(RN)
Mobile: +972 55 69 1117