   Re: [xml-dev] Does WTSIWYG make simplicity moot?

** Reply to message from "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au> on Wed, 13 Nov
2002 16:54:48 +1100

> Perhaps it should be a business question rather than an abstract one.  Custom GUIs
> cost time and money and need a maintenance effort; they have a bad name for being
> slow, poor with large documents, and inflexible. But sometimes that might be warranted
> (i.e. for cashed-up departments,  very static document types--like successful public schemas--,
> and small documents).  However, by the same token, sometimes custom GUIs may be
> counter-productive.

Definitely.  I have my own love/hate affair with GUIs.  If I have to show
someone an XML Schema, I would much rather use XML Authority than Notepad.  On
the other hand, Authority does things with namespaces in W3C XML Schemas that
other validators don't accept, and I had to stop people from using it to
prettyprint the Schemas I generate for MDDL.  So here is a tool that in one
circumstance is a boon, and in another is a source of problems.  There are no
silver bullets.

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates, Information & Software Architect
mailto:abcoates@TheOffice.net
MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language)
http://www.mddl.org/