   Re: [xml-dev] Does WTSIWYG make simplicity moot?

On 13 Nov 2002 at 15:34, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:

> mgushee@havenrock.com writes:
>
>     It also makes XSLT processing vastly more complicated.

> I assume, but don't know, that the SVG WG decided to provide several
> options for styling syntax because there are different approaches to
> creating SVG. The style attribute is the one I prefer when hand coding
> small SVG documents. For larger ones I would tend to use external CSS.
> As you point out, when using XSLT there can be advantages in using
> separate attributes.
>
> Having the three options of how to specify style is actually quite
> useful in practice. You choose the option that best suits the situation.

I agree in principle. And if you're auto-generating your graphics, you
are free to choose from the three approaches. On the other hand, what
if the original drawings are done with a WYSIWYG drawing editor? I've
tried 3 or 4 editors that can save SVG, and my recollection is that
they all used the 'style' attribute on output, and at least one or two
of them failed to recognize discrete style attributes on input.
Obviously the software isn't fully compliant with the spec. But maybe
the spec should have narrowed the options a bit.

--
Matt Gushee