   RE: [xml-dev] Microsoft on XML

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 00:15, Empowering You wrote:
  And wouldn't touch .NET products with a 10
> foot pole, not even to find out if they are any good.  I didn't know the
> answer to Frank's question below, but he seems to be that kind of
> person. (And I mean no disrespect to Frank.  I have no clue of his
> feelings or what he programs except the one paragraph he wrote below.)
> But I'm betting he's avoided Microsoft like the plague since 1998.

I must have been even more obscure than usual. I thought that paragraph
implied that I had eagerly checked each release of IE for :before
functionality (merely as an exemplar, there's much more missing), and
then only muttered about recto-cranial inversion after being
disappointed yet again.

By xml-dev standards, I am a trailing edge developer...that means I'm
the consultant who helps organizations deploy the latest stable [and
supported, if closed source] whizbangs. I do not and cannot ignore the
company that owns the desktops where the documents I munge are created
and ships the browser that is one of the prime display media for those
documents. But I care what actually runs or will run soon on those
desktops, One of my clients is providing me a (free and legal) copy of
.NET real soon now, and I'll be learning it, now that people with
deadlines to meet can actually put enough pieces together and ship
product with it.

Yes I'm cynical...have been since Windows 3.0. And the question sounds
that way. But the question I asked was about real function in an app
that might be in a closed beta, not a request for more CEO speak.

I honestly believe that you're just gosh-wow about all this kewl new
stuff, but you wouldn't go to an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
meeting and expect them to get excited that Bill Ford thinks hybrid
vehicles have a future, would you? You just did that, with 8 guys from
Ford R&D here, and the rest of the room full of their colleagues from
GM, Mack Truck. and John Deere.

Frank