   Re: [xml-dev] End of the Web browser era? And an opportunity forSVG?

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:

>Our very own Sean McGrath has written:
>
>http://www.itworld.com/nl/ebiz_ent/11052002/

>Among the points he made:
>"A critical aspect of web services is that resources are separated from
>HTML and thus separated from reliance on traditional desktop browsers.
>As such services proliferate, so too will thick client applications that
>engage directly with the web services, by-passing HTML based user
>interfaces."

Three such applications that I use on a daily basis:
1. An RSS news aggregator
   (Full disclosure, I am the author of Aggie - http://bitworking.org/Aggie.html)
2. WebDrive, which allows me to map a WebDAV directory to a drive on my desktop machine.
3. RESTLog, a simple RESTian publishing client for a weblog.
   (More disclosure, I am the author of RESTLog - http://WellFormedWeb.org)

But I think that while there may be a shift away from
the browser in some domains there are two developments
that may keep the browser in the game:

First the styling of XML with CSS in the browser can provide
an interface, for example view the source of this site:
http://webaccess.mozquito.com/features/index.xml

Secondly, XForms support in a browser may obviate
the need in some instances for custom clients to access web services.
For example my custom RESTLog client wouldn't be
necessary as I could post from a browser if it had
support for XForms.

>Now, could it be that there is an XML application language ideally
>suited to provide an aspect of these coming thicker clients?

XHTML 2.0?

	-joe

--
http://BitWorking.org