   Re: End of the Web browser era? And an opportunity for SVG?

Andrew proposes:

> Our very own Sean McGrath has written:

> "A critical aspect of web services is that resources are separated from
> HTML and thus separated from reliance on traditional desktop browsers. As
> such services proliferate, so too will thick client applications that
> engage directly with the web services, by-passing HTML based user
> interfaces."
>
> So where could we look for a thicker client for Web-services? Presumably
> XML-based.

I disagree.....the thick client will likely "use" XML in many ways (eg. config files,
databases, SVG/XUL specification for the UI, and by definition, SOAP for Web
Services communications) but I don't think the client will be written in XML.

> Now, could it be that there is an XML application language ideally suited
> to provide an aspect of these coming thicker clients?

XML is great for many things....but as a programming/application language it
sucks.  XSLT is a good example of this...the XSLT syntax is not useable easily
by mere mortals (in fact, as a sidenote, I think XSLT useage will take off when
someone creates a higher level IDE that generates the code for you).

My feeling is that these thick clients will be written in Java or .NET (C#,
VB.NET and others).

> An SVG interface to Web services anyone?

An ugly thought.

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com