   Re: [xml-dev] more QName madness

John Cowan wrote:

> I do not understand the URIs Good, QNames
> Bad point of view, since they are plainly isomorphic.  Indeed, RDF defines
> a two-way mapping between QNames and (some) URIs.

I don't think so.  RDF defines such a mapping, but (for example)
XSchema, which allows  identification of type by qname, does not.  I
might be a little less nervous about qname proliferation if they were in
fact isomorphic to URIs.

>   It would be more consistent
> for you to attack URIs, QNames, and IP addresses, all of which are
> universal agreements creating global names,

Well, such universal agreements are expensive.  We have two: the IP
address space and the DNS.  We hace a universal naming scheme, the URI,
that builds on these.  Can we please stop and not invent any more?

>  in favor of some UUCP-like
> scheme

  -Tim

UUCP hehe, one long-ago signature:
Tim Bray {decvax!microsoft!, ihnp4!alberta!} ubc-vision!mprvaxa!tbray