   Re: [xml-dev] more QName madness

tbray@textuality.com (Tim Bray) writes:
>>   It would be more consistent
>> for you to attack URIs, QNames, and IP addresses, all of which are
>> universal agreements creating global names,
>
>Well, such universal agreements are expensive.  We have two: the IP
>address space and the DNS.  ... Can we please stop and not invent
>any more?

We actually have lots more of these agreements, and many of them are
more useful than slapping URIs on whatever happens to come along.  I can
imagine a world in which we use URIs for MIME media types and MIME media
features, but I doubt there's much actually benefit there.

I cannot imagine a world in which URIs are used in place of registered
URI schemes, however.  (Well, I can, but it's really perverse.)

IP and DNS are two spectacularly expensive label spaces.  I don't think
that they are the only models worth considering, however.  Given the
likely scope of XPointer, I don't think the wide-open expanses of URI
possibilities make much sense, and something much smaller and perhaps
even managed is worth consideration.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether