   RE: [xml-dev] dtds, schemas, xhtml, and multimedia technologies

Actually she has a point.

There are many business evaluations of so-called
standards that get resolved by saying "Well, Microsoft
has implemented it."   I seriously doubt XML would
have anything like the cache it has today had not
Microsoft signed up early and implemented as fast
as their coding fingers could fly.

Not liking their business practices, or even
wallowing in envy of their success are not
smart ways to evaluate their power or the
need for their support.   It isn't true
in every case (see SVG) but in the cases
where it isn't true, usually another big-un
has to implement the standard (see Adobe),
and even in those cases, it is a niche standard.
For the big moves you need the support of the
big guns.

len

From: Rich Salz [mailto:rsalz@datapower.com]

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Empowering You wrote:

> I think Microsoft's greatest benefit to mankind is that because they are
> so large and able to spend so much money on R&D, some of the things they
> push are well thought out and standards have arisen where before there
> were only smaller turf battles.  I don't know anything about the
> standards boards so I can't say how much role Microsoft had on them
> personally.  But from an outsiders point of view, it looked to me like
> the only way we finally got standards accepted is that it took a giant
> like Microsoft to force them down our throat by using them in their
> products.

Oh dear.  You are seriously naive and/or delusional.

Stay away from this mailing list; there are too many sharp edges and
you might get hurt.  Just lie back and let the koolaid comfort you.