   RE: [xml-dev] dtds, schemas, xhtml, and multimedia technologies

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> Actually she has a point.

um ... not really.

> There are many business evaluations of so-called
> standards that get resolved by saying "Well, Microsoft
> has implemented it."

microsoft software is not a standard, simply because it
can *never* be a standard, barring some sort of official
international standard organization making it so.

the fact that my wall outlet provides 110V at 60Hz.
that's a standard.  that my bicycle wheels are 700mm.
*that's* a standard.  paper (at least here in north
america) typically coming in 8.5" x 11" or 8.5" x 14".
*that's* a standard.  get the idea?

MS software may be popular.  it may be ubiquitous.
and many corporations have clearly adopted it as their
SW of choice.  that does *not* make it a standard.

rday