len

From: Andrew Dubinsky [mailto:andy@encomia.com]

>the fact that my wall outlet provides 110V at 60Hz.
>that's a standard.  that my bicycle wheels are 700mm.

Just FYI, a tiny little company called General Electric created that
standard at the behest of an employee named Thomas Edison. GE choose AC and
pushed that. After the AC / DC argument was won, it became a standard.

I have noticed that industry standardization and official standards are
easily confused. Often companies need a standardized product more than an
Official Seal of Approval (sic).