   Re: [xml-dev] RDDL/RDF - no RDF tax?

Mike Champion wrote:

> That's very human readable ... but RDF-challenged as I am, I don't
> understand how it uses RDF.  Where is all the cruft that people complain
> about? :-)

As I've said many times RDF doesn't *have* to be complicated, unfortunately,
RDF all too often get's way too complicated and that's where sensible folks
get thrown off the boat.

that XML makes the following assertions:

<#foo> rdf:type rddl:resource .
<#foo> rddl:nature <http://example.org/nature> .
<#foo> rddl:nature <http://example.org/purpose> .
<#foo> rddl:nature <http://example.org/L.dtd> .
<#foo> rddl:prose "<p>A description of the 'L' language>"^^rdf:XMLLiteral .

where that last one is the new typed literal syntax where a string literal
is separated from a type QName or URI by "^^".

> Would a "native" RDF processor understand the assertions in there, or
would
> a RDDL->RDF filter be needed?

A processor would only need to know where to look in the RDDL document for
the XML to be parsed as RDF. I've suggested an attribute on the top element:

which would tell a parser to ignore elements in the XHTML namespace, and
start parsing as RDF elements in any other namespace e.g. <rddl:resource>.

An *actual* RDF document would look like:

<rdf:RDF>
    <rddl:resource>...
    <rddl:resource>...
</rdf:RDF>

so call it a RDDL->RDF filter but its a darn simple one. On the other hand
browsers are pretty forgiving in what they'll accept as HTML if you give the
document a .html extension. For example (this works in IE5.5 at least):

http://www.rddl.org/RDDL2-example.html

That document is real RDF.

Jonathan