   Re: [xml-dev] RDDL/RDF - no RDF tax?

> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:00:40 -0500, Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
>  wrote:
>

> > <rddl:resource ID="XSD">
> > <rddl:title>XML Schema</rddl:title>
> > <rddl:nature resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"/>
> > <rddl:purpose
> > resource="http://www.rddl.org/purposes#schema-validation"/>
> > <rddl:related resource="http://example.org/L.xsd"/>
> > <rddl:prose>
> > </rddl:prose>
> > </rddl:resource>
> >
> > hopefully the above XML is self explanatory -- in which case this is
> > human
> > readable! I think it is more readable than the XLink version.
>
> That's very human readable ... but RDF-challenged as I am, I don't
> understand how it uses RDF.  Where is all the cruft that people complain
> about? :-)
>
> Would a "native" RDF processor understand the assertions in there, or would
> a RDDL->RDF filter be needed?

You doubt Jonathan?

All I had to do was add a namespace:

uogbuji@malatesta:~$ cat rddl.rdf
<rddl:resource ID="XSD" xmlns:rddl="http://www.rddl.org/RDDL2";>
    <rddl:title>XML Schema</rddl:title>
    <rddl:nature resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"/>
    <rddl:purpose
resource="http://www.rddl.org/purposes#schema-validation"/>
    <rddl:related resource="http://example.org/L.xsd"/>
    <rddl:prose>
    </rddl:prose>
</rddl:resource>
uogbuji@malatesta:~$ 4rdf rddl.rdf
The following is a list of remaining tuples, each in the form "subject,
predicate, object".  If a resource has an rdfs:label, it is presented with
this label between angle brackets.
[
("ANON-1", "<rdf:type>", "http://www.rddl.org/RDDL2resource";),
("ANON-1", "http://www.rddl.org/RDDL2title";, "XML Schema"),
("ANON-1", "http://www.rddl.org/RDDL2nature";, "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema
"),
("ANON-1", "http://www.rddl.org/RDDL2purpose";, "http://www.rddl.org/purposes#sc
hema-validation"),
("ANON-1", "http://www.rddl.org/RDDL2related";, "http://example.org/L.xsd";),
("ANON-2", "<rdf:type>", "file:/home/uogbuji/p"),
("ANON-1", "http://www.rddl.org/RDDL2prose";, "ANON-2"),
]

Not the hint of a problem.

The "cruft" that people complain of in RDF/XML is only there for relatively
complex situations.  For pretty simple uses such as RDDL or even HTML meta-tag
equivalents, RDF can be as simple as you please.

Well, just one thing.  If you wish to embed RDF in other vocabs, you usually
have to have an rdf:RDF wrapper element, but that's hardly a "tax".

Python&XML column: 2. Introducing PyXML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/25/p
y.html
The Past, Present and Future of Web Services 1 - http://www.webservices.org/ind
ex.php/article/articleview/663/1/24/