   Re: [xml-dev] RDF for unstructured databases, RDF for axiomatic

Shelley Powers scripsit:

> Sorry, John, but I see absolutely nothing in the document that says "thou
> shall not nest". Documents must be specific or interpretation comes in and
> divergence occurs.

Sure.  Obviously this document is not Rec-quality and was not advertised
as such.  It says R elements can contain multiple PV elements, but not
that they can't contain other R elements.  However, PV elements cannot
contain R elements: that is specified implicitly, since the content has
to be a string.  (This means that XML literals aren't expressible in RPV.)

> > In order for there to be any links to the bnode, of course it has to have
> > an id attribute, unlike the situation in RDF/XML where an odd-striped
> > element can have neither about nor id attributes.
> >

> Example?

Example of what?

> > > And would the property then be "propertySeq" or "Seq"? This
> > would have to
> > > formalized, or we'll all be doing something different.
> >
> > It would be "{rdfnamespace}Seq".
> >

> Example?

<R r="foo">
  <PV p="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type";
      v="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Seq"/>
  <PV p="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#_1";
      v="bar"/>
  <PV p="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#_2";
      v="baz"/>
</R>

> So what you're saying then, is that a person will have to know the RDF model
> in order to read and write Tim's RPV?

To understand it in full.  Partial understanding of RPV is possible with only
a partial understanding of the model.

> I really would like to see some real world RDF models serialized with Tim's
> RPV. Has anyone done this, and where can we see them? Links to same?
> Personally, I'd love to put these against the RDF/XML version to see -- side
> by side -- the differences.

It's trivial.

1) Express your RDF using the Basic Serialization Syntax described in M&S
Section 2.2.1.  This is done by undoing the transformations described in
M&S 2.2.2, as well as the container syntax of 3.2.  (The URI-pattern
containers of 3.4 cannot be transformed this way, but they are being dropped
from RDF.)

2) Then map as follows:

  rdf:Description -> RPV:R
  rdf:about -> RPV:r
  the element type of a property element -> express as a URI in RPV:p
  rdf:resource -> RPV:v
  rdf:bagID -> RPV:rpv

--
John Cowan   <jcowan@reutershealth.com>   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
"One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big