   RE: [xml-dev] The perils of P18S (was Re: [xml-dev] Why RDF is ha rd )

Ah, ok.  My bad.

The behaviorists refer to that as "superstitious learning", the accidental
acquisition of relationships that are not related, therefore, measuring
items and drawing unwarranted conclusions.   The classic example
is spontaneous generation:  observations that maggots grew on rotting
meat and assuming this was the spontaneous generation of life.  One
can measure the rate of growth of the maggots and make assertions
that this relates to the spontaneity rate.  Of course, it will begin to
fall apart if one does more measurements, changes the meat to
corn meal, whatever.    Failing to keep testing from different points
of view suggested by the hypothesis is how superstition proliferates.

I quite agree about the dangers of superstition.   That is why I am a
bit of a wonk where history is concerned, and why the web concerns
me (unconstrained and uncontested repetition of false assertions fed
into the largest control/feedback loop ever built).

It seems to me, that this what RDF enables one to check, at least,
in the same sense that one can find out if two or more sources made
the same assertion.   What it does not check is superstition.   If many
the experts believe that spontaneous generation is an accepted fact,
and therefore, most of the metadata generated asserts that, can RDF
find that falsehood?   I don't think so unless related facts in a separate
set of assertions don't jibe.

So we may be biased, but without correlations among different classes
of measured events, how can we tell?

len