   RE: [xml-dev] The perils of P18S (was Re: [xml-dev] Why RDF is ha rd )

It seems to me, that this what RDF enables one to check, at least,
in the same sense that one can find out if two or more sources made
the same assertion.   What it does not check is superstition.   If many
the experts believe that spontaneous generation is an accepted fact,
and therefore, most of the metadata generated asserts that, can RDF
find that falsehood?   I don't think so unless related facts in a separate
set of assertions don't jibe.

So we may be biased, but without correlations among different classes
of measured events, how can we tell?

T here's no disputing that if there is no information available that falls outside of the superstitious class, then we'll continue with the spontaneous maggot assumption. But there is potential for reasoning that can take us outside - assert the maggotty meat fact, negate the spontaneous generation fact and see what falls through the net. I do suspect it will be a good while before we see anything useful outside of academia, but the potential's there.  I've lost the ref again, but there's also the work that discovered some medical link using data mining techniques. Semweb technologies should make this kind of thing a whole lot easier.

In the nearer term, having tools that can enable more structured discussion (such as the ClaiMaker app) may make it possible for current, largely human processes to be accelerated, so things like scientific advances can happen more rapidly. The web has enabled an awful lot more people to have an extremely broad range of material that was previously hard to come by, the semweb should make it easier to find and work with. It's rather prosaic, but my inability to quote the medical link piece of work is a perfect example of a problem that decent RDF-based indexing could solve.

One other bit of bluish sky follows from noting that information from sensors in the real world can be fed directly in to the web - nothing remarkable about that. But the data can be immediately available for analysis alongside the huge corpus that is the web - hypotheses can be checked in real time, as long as the data and those hypotheses are expressed in a machine-understandable fashion. Let's get the machines doing the work for a change.

Cheers,
Danny.