   RE: [xml-dev] The perils of P18S (was Re: [xml-dev] Why RDF is ha rd )

Len:
One problem, of course, is the dilemma that spawned expert
systems work.    Level of detail makes knowing everything about
everything impossible (even putting aside from quantum effects); but then I don't
expect anyone in the SemWeb work claims that to be realistic.   What I expect
is what happens in expert systems.   A particular domain with recognized
and experienced subject matter experts works on the metadata for
that domain.   As more of these domains prove reliable, relationships
among them can then be developed.

Danny:
Yes, I agree entirely. I think one of the big steps forward made by the RDF and related km work has been what is in effect a practical refactoring of the knowledge acquisition bottleneck that plagued early expert systems. The underlying modelling system has been decoupled from the domain vocabulary which is in turn decoupled from the domain data. Once decomposed in this fashion, a properly structured (hence easier)  way of obtaining the knowledge from the expert becomes possible. On top, cross-domain knowledge bases can be built reliably in the manner you suggest.

Len:
These relationships can help out superstitions because assertions
that are consistent in one domain can create inconsistencies in
a related domain.    That the machine can find this and present
it (it never sleeps) to the researcher as a possible problem is
very useful.

Danny:
Yep. I reckon there's still a way to go yet, but this should get really interesting.

Len:
Tools make this easier to build.    The basic Semweb languages
should not make this harder.   For the Semweb to payoff, a lot
of grunt assertion acquisition work has to be done and tested in
each domain, then tested by creating relationships among domains.
This takes a lot of time and effort.    I would expect that once the
foundation work on the languages and technologies is complete,
it will take another ten years of hard use to get the kinds of
benefits envisioned.   That's ok.  It would be worth it.

Danny:
Aye, in our lifetimes (deities willing) will do.

Len:
I realize that some money can be made up front
in dedicated applications, but anyone looking for a fast buck
in this field should take up another.

Danny:
Heh - I'm afraid you're probably right there. I do however think that the technologies can make it easier to develop quite a range of apps that are mostly-dedicated but have a layer of interop above syntax (so e.g. a media player could use the MusicBrainz kb).

Cheers,
Danny.

btw, I've nothing against XML or old-fashioned expert systems :