   Re: [xml-dev] how much complexity is unavoidable?

"Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com> writes:

> > Here's an observation:
> >
> >   [kari@pc-kari kari]$ du -sh $XSLT_SOURCES
> >   9.3M    xalan-j_2_4_0/src/org/apache
> >   2.8M    saxon6_5_2/source/com/icl/saxon
> >   1.6M    xt-20020426a-src/src/com/jclark
> >
> > There are two issues with this that I could immediately think
> > of: (1)XT is incomplete, missing some minor feature which
> > Xalan is reported to support. (2)Xalan includes xsltc, an
> > XSLT-to-Java-bytecode compiler; OTOH, both XT and Saxon
> > include their own parsers, whereas Xalan relies on Xerces
> > (not included in the estimate).
>
> Size and complexity are different things.
>
> But I think you will find that on a single-person project (like Saxon or
> xt) there is constant adaptation of existing classes to make them more
> powerful and reusable, and to eliminate duplication, whereas on a
> multi-person project (like Xalan) there is a tendency to try to

How many people *are* on the Xalan team? my impression is that the
core group is quite small.

> implement your part of the system without changing other people's parts,
> even if this leads to duplication.

Looking at the code, it seems that the authors value reuse highly;
inheritance hierarchies 5 and 6 levels deep are commonplace.

But my puzzlement is not over *why did Apache* create a more complex
product than you or James Clark did. It is over the fact that *it is
possible* to create a product that is every bit as functional yet not
as complex.

> The biggest reason for the discrepancy is probably that the Xalan
> package actually contains two completely separate XSLT processors,
> Xalan-J and XSLTC.

I mentioned that, but it doesn't change the overall picture. And
correct me if I'm wrong on the parser issue. BTW, Xalan and xsltc are
not completely separate; xslt uses the same internal representation as
Xalan, DTM.

[kari@pc-kari kari]$ du -sh $APACHE_XML_SOURCES
9.3M    xalan-j_2_4_0/src/org/apache
2.9M    xalan-j_2_4_0/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc
7.3M    xerces-2_2_1/src/org/apache

Xalan-J is still huge.