   Re: [xml-dev] RDF for unstructured databases, RDF for axiomatic

Shelley Powers wrote:

> Yours is the second interpretation of the model showing v as a resource
> defined elsewhere. I wonder, though, if a naive person with no exposure to
> RDF/XML would understand to do this?

I wonder why you'd expect them to.

> For instance, another interpretation
> could be to nest the second resource directly within the first. Would this
> nesting be illegal? It's perfectly proper XML, but is it proper RPV?

What matters is whether it reduces to proper RDF.

> For something like reification -- how would a naive user know to interpret
> the reified statement as a set of assertions about a statement rather than
> direct statements? We know, but then, we know the RDF model. This whole
> thing is based on a naive user being able to read the XML without having to
> know the model.

They wouldn't. When expert users can't agree on an interpretation of
what it (RDF reification) means, naive users are going to be at a
dead loss.

XML assumes you know something about the domain of what's being
marked up. RDF/XML is not distinct in this regard.

Bill de hÓra