   Re: [xml-dev] What are the arguments *for* XHTML 2.0?

Paul Prescod wrote:
> To me, there are more urgent areas of progress needed:
>
>  * SVG implementations
>  * XForms specs and finalization (yes, part of XHTML 2.0, but separable)
>  * GUI widgets
>
> But perhaps XHTML can help with:
>
>  * Richer metadata primitives (who created this page, with what tool, on
> what date, ...)
>  * Richer linking primitives (next page, previous page, top page,
> printable version, owner-frame, ...)

All those exist, it's just that dated browsers like IE don't support them.
Mozilla, for instance, does.

You mention SVG and GUI widgets in almost the same breath. That's a place where
XHTML could help. By being integrated into a common profile with SVG, one would
gain a nice number of widgets that could be reimplemented in SVG but would be
much simpler with an XHTML renderer at hand, tables and lists being good candidates.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway