   Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft-phobia and the non-future of XHTML x.x [LONG]

In a message dated 22/11/2002 12:13:32 GMT Standard Time, veillard@redhat.com writes:

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 06:34:39AM -0500, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:
> "At the risk of over-generalising the fundamental business model of open
> source software is Microsoft-paranoia and Microsoft-phobia by competitor
> companies. Of course there are enthusiasts who donate time but isn't at least
> part of the motivation for some of those developers the same Microsoft-phobia
> and Microsoft-paranoia? Try to imagine how limited open source software today

  Bullshit if I may.

Daniel,
When I composed my post I anticipated that I would get abuse from some open-source enthusiasts. I think you proved that my anticipation was correct.

I'm an engineer, I want to have good control over my tools.

Sure. So who was it that you wanted NOT to have control over your tools?

Microsoft perhaps?

That's why
I switched to Linux way way back in 92.

What did you switch from? And why?

The current incentive for people
to swicth to Linux, be it from Unix or from Windows are price, control, and stability.
Control is a key point, it affects security, it affects cost control and
stability too.

You are again emphasising that control is key. Who do you want NOT to have that control?

I know you can generalize the response to say "anyone else" but didn't Microsoft figure in that equation at all?

I have developped an lot of free code in my life, not not by Microsoft
phobia,

So, what are your feelings about Microsoft? Love? Or resentment or anger? Detached technical doubts only? Genuine question.

it's because I needed software that didn't suck, and a lot of

people are actually using it on the Windows platform too, proof that there
are other incentives.

If you take care to read my post I didn't claim that Microsoft-phobia and Microsoft-paranoia were the only incentives.

Did I?

I talked about a business model. Do you dispute that that business model plays a significant part in the "generosity" of IBM, Sun etc to the open source community?

I pointed out that enthusiasts donate time. Some of those are unpaid, some paid.

  Your argumentation looks pretty gross, maybe you should code more
and speak less >:-> maybe you would understand where this movement comes
from ... if you can !

Echo my first comment in response to your post.

Are you seriously suggesting that support for open source from Sun, IBM etc is not in any way tinged with anti-Microsoft thought patterns?

Regards

Andrew Watt
"XHTML 2.0 - the W3C leading the Web to its full potential ... to implement yesterday's technology tomorrow"