   Re: [xml-dev] What are the arguments *for* XHTML 2.0?

At 4:30 AM -0800 11/25/02, Paul Prescod wrote:

>Macromedia claims a 97.8% penetration rate based upon a survey:
>
>  http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/survey/
>
>Flash is pre-installed on most computers:
>
>  http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/survey/whitepaper/page6.html

Interesting but hardly definitive since this survey was paid for by
Macromedia with the goal of convincing people to adopt Flash. Reading
the survey, the biggest question is this:

In September 2002, NPD Online launched an online market research
study to determine what percentage of the Internet population could
see the various graphics and animation formats on the Web. Based on
the objectives of their study, NPD Online developed an online
quantitative study. The survey presented respondents with several
pages, each with an inline image in a different format, and asked
respondents to indicate whether or not they could see each of the
images.

I don't see any information about how the respondents were selected.
Since it was done as an online study, it's entirely possible that
there was some selection affect that skewed the sample population.

I also note, that if you actually look at the numbers, only 53% of
the survey respondents in the U.S. had Flash 6. Numbers were slightly
higher elsewhere up to 61.3% in Europe. You can get 92% going back
only to Flash 5. You only achieve the 97.8% number by including
everything back to Flash 2. Can Flash 2 view modern Flash documents?