   Acrobat SVG and Flash - comparisions? (was Re: [xml-dev] What are thearg

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:48:31 +0100, Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr> wrote:

> Your numbers are slightly exaggerated :) Doing a rich client in any
> version of Flash prior to v6 is a herculean task, the kind that you do
> once and give up on, or go insane and start dribbling Macromedia
> marketing material at random hours under the full moon. So you'd have to
> take Flash 6 penentration into account. On the other hand, SVG has more
> than 0.1% thanks to the fact that ASV v2 was shipped with Acrobat Reader
> 5.0 and pretty much all Adobe products around that time.

Yup, I did over-do the numbers, didn't I? :-)  Sorry for getting caught
up in gloom. I will happily admit that Acrobat and Flash are both more or
less ubiquitous.  And that was my point -- as a practical matter one has
to develop rich client  internet apps for the software that one expects the
target audience to have pre-installed.

So, again as a practical matter in today's environment, what can one
do in SVG (as supported in recent Acrobat Readers) that would offer
a "rich client" experience -- nice looking UI, client-side
assistance/validation,
the hokey animated effects that I personally hate but Joe Consumer apparently
 likes ... along with the ability to produce and consume XML content.  Now
for the less hopeful question: what tools exist
that would allow non-geeks to develop such content in SVG?  (I
think we could probably agree that Flash MX more or less defines
the state of the art?)  How about XForms?  I at least hear
rumors of XForms implementations that will run in Flash reader
(not sure of the version).