   Re: [xml-dev] XML, Rich Internet Apps

Paul Prescod wrote:
> AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:
>> Put HTML/XHTML to one side ... it's yesterday's technology, after
>> all .... and you will get (in a little time) your holy grail of XML on
>> the Web.
>
> I think that it is wrong-headed to pit SVG against XHTML.

Completely. SVG 1.2 has text flow in its requirements, and SVG has everything
that's needed to render XHTML. However, keeping the original data as XHTML is
and friends. I'd also *love* to see someone implement a table rendering algo in
SVG+EcmaScript :) One has to take into account the CPU power of current
platforms as well.

I still fail to see what's so complicated about this. Scalable Vector
*GRAPHICS*. Hyper*TEXT* Markup Language.

Those in this forum that aren't sold on the applicability of XHTML to its domain
might want to take a look at Andrew's SVG only websites and judge for themselves:

   http://www.xmml.com/
   http://www.svgspider.com/

[SVGSpider is also not the first website created entirely in SVG, but that's
another story]

SVG is not (yet at least) good with large amounts of text used directly. Getting
that right requires implementing some widget primitives first (eg
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/11/quint.html) to be smooth enough (at least on
most boxes). That being said, even if it's "possible" to get it right and even
if SVG 1.2 integrates some of what XHTML provides, I'd still be a lot more
comfortable with a viewer implementing both XHTML and SVG.

Rumour has it that could be soon.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway