   Re: [xml-dev] Typing and paranoia

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:48:33 -0500 (EST), John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
 wrote:

> Mike Champion scripsit:
>
>> You don't REALLY want two processes on the same machine to pass around angle
>> bracketed Unicode text rather than DOMs or
>> SAX event streams do you?
>
> Sure, why not?  Do it all the time.  It's called "Unix pipes".

I'm not suggesting you don't.  But the scenario I'm talking about
(see Noah Mendelson's bit, and Gudge's piece that Len quotes) involves
processes that are mostly building synthetic infosets, and
dealing with potentially thousands of messages per second.  From what I'm
hearing from developers of high-performance
SOAP processors and XML middleware, that serialize/parse overhead
is significant, and they aren't doing it.  They ARE reinventing
wheels, and want to do it just once (or some manageable number).

My question is "given that they are not doing it with XML syntax, is
the world better off having a larger menu of standardized Infoset
serialization formats for high performance inter-process communication,
or better off letting these people roll their own without the benefit
of standardization"  (Or letting them grow their own standards bodies).

I can easily see the "it ain't XML, so it's not the W3C's problem" point
of view, but I can also see the "someone will standardize it, so we
want it done it in an XML-friendly and Web-friendly way rather
forking off"   point of view.